My Life Verse - Matthew 6:25-34

Monday, January 10, 2011

Day 7 - James 1:7-8


James 1:7-8

The Message
Don't think you're going to get anything from the Master that way, adrift at sea, keeping all your options open.

New American Standard
For that man ought not to expect that he will receive anything from the Lord, being a double-minded man, unstable in all his ways.
So just when I said yesterday I like to take one verse at a time, what do I do, take two verses today. It just seemed to flow together better.
These verses have to do with you doubting whether God will answer your prayer or not. Like I said before, you have to have faith. Remember Hebrews 11:1 from before…”Faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.”
So will God ignore our prayers when we waver? It’s not so much that God withholds answers when our faith is shaky, but that we are not prepared to receive or recognize the answer at such times. To make sense of our sufferings and trials we must believe that God is somehow going to turn pain, evil, and tragedy into eternal good. Without that foundational trust in God, we often don’t recognize the answers God sends. So far when I’ve been praying, I’ve not seen the answer come up on a billboard and I haven’t heard God’s voice over the radio in my car. My answers usually come from God’s word in the Bible. I was having coffee the other day with one of my friends and told him that one way I pray is to ask God to either open the door or close the door and make it so obvious that I know it’s from Him. That has served me well over the years. Try it, maybe it will work for you too. But, as these verses say, you can’t waver in your faith that God WILL answer and you can’t be afraid of the answer.  

No comments:

Post a Comment